Finance

Portugal waives its last bailout instalment

LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Portugal's government says it is forgoing the final 2.6 billion-euro ($3.5 billion) instalment of its three-year bailout package because it cannot meet creditors' deadlines for the latest promised austerity measures, which have run into legal challenges.

Portugal received a 78 billion-euro rescue in 2011 amid Europe's debt crisis. The money has been delivered in batches as long as Portugal keeps cutting expenditure in accordance with a pre-determined calendar.

The Constitutional Court last month disallowed further planned cuts to government workers' pay and state pensions. That has left the government scrambling to find alternative savings, but Finance Minister Maria Luis Albuquerque said Thursday the government does not know when they will be ready.

Portugal says it has enough money to see it through the middle of next year.

Related Headlines

  • Yields fall sharply in Portuguese debt auction

    Portugal's chances of ending its three-year bailout program without requiring more help have increased after interest rates fell steeply in a 10-year bond auction Wednesday. 

  • Pedro Passos Coelho, Paulo Portas, Jose Pedro Aguiar Branco

    Portugal PM: No need for new aid after bailout

    Portugal will not seek a protective line of credit after its government fulfils requirements imposed by foreign bailout creditors as part of a 78 billion euro ($107 billion) ... 

  • Portugal ends bailout constraints; pain won't end

    Portugal is emerging from the painful economic constraints imposed by a three-year bailout that saved the country from collapse, but EU officials are warning that tough ... 

  • Mario Draghi

    Draghi keeps door open for ECB action

    European Central Bank President Mario Draghi said the bank needed to be on its guard against a "negative spiral" of low inflation that could drag down the economy — and it ... 

Find the best rates

Find your future job here