Music

LAPD apologizes to Notorious B.I.G.'s family

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police detectives apologized to the family of Notorious B.I.G. for failing to warn them about the planned release of his autopsy report more than 15 years after he died in a drive-by shooting, the Los Angeles Police Department said Saturday.

The detectives had intended to notify the rapper's family, but the report was released prematurely "due to an administrative error," the department said in a statement. "Our detectives personally spoke with the Wallace family (Friday) night, and apologized for not notifying them prior to the release" said Capt. Billy Hayes, who heads LAPD's Robbery-Homicide Division, which is investigating the killing. "Obviously this has been a challenging case for us to solve. We hope that witnesses or other people with information will come forward and give us the clues we need to solve this case."

Los Angeles County's Chief Coroner Investigator Craig Harvey said a security hold placed on the report's release was lifted last week. The 23-page report revealed the rapper, whose real name was Christopher Wallace, was hit by four bullets after leaving a music industry event in March 1997, but one that hit his heart, left lung and colon caused his death.

The attorney for the rapper's family complained Friday that he was not given any notice that the report would be released and criticized police for not closing one of Los Angeles' highest-profile unsolved murders.

Both Los Angeles police and the FBI investigated Wallace's killing, which came just months after another rap superstar, Tupac Shakur, was gunned down in Las Vegas. The FBI looked into whether any Los Angeles police officers were involved in Wallace's shooting.

The deaths of Wallace and Shakur have been the subject of rampant speculation about the motives. The one-time friends became rivals and instigators in an East Coast-West Coast rap rivalry during the mid-1990s.

A 2011 book by former Los Angeles police detective Greg Kading claimed both murders had been solved, although no arrests have been made and federal prosecutors in 2005 declined to file charges after a lengthy, bi-coastal investigation. Wallace is from the New York City borough of Brooklyn.

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

Related Headlines

  • 12-12-12 The Concert for Sandy Relief at Madison Square Garden - Live Concert

    Music, comedy strike defiant tone at Sandy concert

    Musicians were so intent upon helping victims of Superstorm Sandy that they didn't seem to want their benefit concert in New York to end. The final notes of Alicia Keys' ... 

  • Justin Bieber

    Prosecutors appeal anti-paparazzi charge dismissal

    Prosecutors Wednesday appealed the dismissal of anti-paparazzi driving charges against a photographer accused of recklessly chasing Justin Bieber on a Los Angeles freeway ... 

  • Most Googled in 2012: Whitney, PSY, Sandy

    The world's attention wavered between the tragic and the silly in 2012, and along the way, millions of people searched the Web to find out about a royal princess, the latest ... 

  • Lady Gaga

    A look at prolific Twitter accounts

    Pope Benedict XVI hit the 1 million Twitter follower mark on Wednesday as he sent his first tweet from his new account. In amassing an army of followers, the pontiff joined ... 

Popular Searches
Entertainment

Find your future job here

What

Where

Service