World

M23 rebels call for cease-fire with Congo military

GOMA, Congo (AP) — A leader of the M23 rebels who were forced to retreat from most of their strongholds in eastern Congo is now calling for a cease-fire.

In a statement released Sunday, M23 president Bertrand Bisimwa called on his fighters to put down their weapons, and urged the Congolese military to cease all hostilities so as to allow peace talks to go forward.

After an 18-month rebellion that saw the rebels briefly overtake the city of Goma last year, the Congolese military stepped up its offensive in October. It quickly retook a series of towns, and M23 fighters headed for the hills.

Bisimwa is now in Uganda, where negotiations between the two sides have been under way, though they have repeatedly stalled in the past.

Related Headlines

  • Congo: Military hunting down remaining M23 rebels

    The Congolese government says soldiers are hunting down the last remaining M23 rebels in the country. Government spokesman Lambert Mende said Friday that the remaining rebels ... 

  • Death of colonel who inspired hope in Congo

    In a place where death is never far away, the colonel seemed larger than life, invincible. He stood at well over 6 feet (1.83 meters), a good head or two taller than the ... 

  • Congo army regains town of Rumangabo

    The Congolese army, who just one year ago abandoned their posts and fled in the face of an advancing rebel army, succeeded on Monday in taking back the fifth, rebel-held town, ... 

  • Official: M23 chief, rebels surrender to Uganda

    The top commander of Congo's M23 rebel movement and about 1,700 of his fighters surrendered to Ugandan authorities following defeat by Congolese troops, a Ugandan military ...