BRATISLAVA, Slovakia (AP) — Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico has survived a no-confidence vote requested by the opposition over a gas deal.
After a heated discussion, only 59 lawmakers voted to oust Fico while 82 were against. The result was expected because Fico's leftist Smer-Social Democracy party holds a comfortable majority in Parliament.
Fico was under fire from center-right parties over a deal approved by the government for the state to acquire a 49 percent stake of the country's gas supplier SPP from Czech company EPH. Opposition lawmakers claimed the state would not benefit from fully controlling a company which is not profitable and in debt. The state already owns the remaining 51 percent.
Fico said the deal helps the government to keep gas prices low for households.