Europe

Officials may soon return some artworks to recluse

BERLIN (AP) — German prosecutors investigating a huge art trove found in Munich are planning to return works to collector Cornelius Gurlitt once they are confirmed as belonging to him and not stolen by the Nazis.

Augsburg prosecutor Reinhard Nemetz said in a statement Tuesday that he asked a newly established government task force to identify the owners of the more than 1,400 works as soon as possible and return to Gurlitt those pieces that belong to him without a doubt.

Authorities found the paintings and art works in Gurlitt's apartment in February 2012 while investigating a tax case, though the find only became public through media reports last month. The government has said 590 pieces may have been looted by the Nazis.

Related Headlines

  • 5 works from the art hoard found in Germany

    German investigators on Tuesday showed images of some of the hoard of more than 1,400 art works they found at a Munich apartment. Here is a glance at some of the highlights. 

  • Report: German collector hid art out of 'love'

    The recluse German collector who kept a priceless trove of art, possibly including works stolen by the Nazis, hidden for half a century says he did so because he "loved" them ... 

  • German prosecutors release collector's art

    German prosecutors on Wednesday released more than 1,000 artworks found at the Munich apartment of a reclusive collector, days after he agreed to cooperate with authorities ... 

  • US documents raise questions on Munich art hoard

    U.S. military documents are deepening the mystery surrounding the more than 1,400 artworks found in a Munich apartment. In the chaotic aftermath of World War II, the American ...