World

Congo's army launches offensive in volatile east

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — A spokesman for Congo's army says it has launched an offensive in the east against a group of Islamic rebel fighters led by Ugandan commanders.

Col. Olivier Hamuli said Friday on the United Nations-run Radio Okapi that the army was involved in heavy fighting and that it intended to wipe out the group within days. ADF-NALU, active in Congo's volatile east, boasts at least 800 fighters and reportedly abducted at least 80 Congolese civilians during the first half of last year, according to U.N. experts.

Earlier this month a colonel who played a leading role in defeating the notorious M23 rebel group late last year was killed while trying to flush out ADF-NALU near the town of Beni. The operation is backed by U.N. peacekeepers in Congo.

Related Headlines

  • Congo army regains town of Rumangabo

    The Congolese army, who just one year ago abandoned their posts and fled in the face of an advancing rebel army, succeeded on Monday in taking back the fifth, rebel-held town, ... 

  • M23 fighters in eastern Congo say ending rebellion

    The M23 rebel group blamed for killing scores of civilians in eastern Congo over the last year and a half announced Tuesday it was ending its rebellion as an emboldened ... 

  • Death of colonel who inspired hope in Congo

    In a place where death is never far away, the colonel seemed larger than life, invincible. He stood at well over 6 feet (1.83 meters), a good head or two taller than the ... 

  • Official: M23 chief, rebels surrender to Uganda

    The top commander of Congo's M23 rebel movement and about 1,700 of his fighters surrendered to Ugandan authorities following defeat by Congolese troops, a Ugandan military ...