World

Yemen militants demand ransom for South African

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The family of a South African teacher who was abducted in Yemen last year says it is trying to raise $3 million to pay a ransom demanded by suspected al-Qaida militants who are holding him.

The family of Pierre Korkie, kidnapped in the Yemeni city of Taiz in May, said in a statement Tuesday that friends and local businessmen in South Africa have started a fund-raising campaign to try to secure his release.

The statement says the kidnappers agreed Saturday to allow three more weeks for the ransom payment. They have previously threatened to execute Korkie. Korkie's wife, Yolande, was abducted with him, but was released this month and returned to South Africa. A non-governmental group, Gift of the Givers, helped mediate her release.

Related Headlines

  • Yemen: Briton kidnapped by gunmen

    A Yemeni security official says that unidentified gunmen captured a British national in the capital, Sanaa. The official says on Thursday that the Briton, a teacher, was ... 

  • Oscar Pistorius

    Oscar Pistorius seen shooting in gun range video

    Newly released video shows Oscar Pistorius, who faces a murder trial next week, firing weapons at a gun range before the double-amputee athlete fatally shot his girlfriend ... 

  • South African carjackers favor downtown spot

    The carjackers were swift and methodical. They were also creatures of habit. On three occasions this month, armed criminals who apparently knew their victims were carrying ... 

  • Czech fugitive appears in South African court

    Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir, who faces charges of attempted murder, assault and kidnapping, appeared in court Monday for a bail hearing amid tight security. Krejcir was ...