US

Arrest made in Pa. kidnapping try caught on video

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A man suspected of trying to kidnap a 10-year-old girl off a sidewalk near her Philadelphia home was arrested Thursday after widely publicized surveillance video of the attack led him to surrender, authorities said.

Carlos Figueroa-Fagot, 33, was charged with attempted kidnapping, indecent assault and related offenses. It was not immediately clear if he had a lawyer. The chilling video had been broadcast extensively since police released it a day earlier, leading to tips about the suspect's identity. Police Capt. John Darby said the footage essentially "forced him to come forward."

"He felt that he could not walk, talk or breathe out there on the streets," Darby said at a news conference. The victim, whom Darby described as "a real trouper," suffered superficial injuries and has been talking with police about what happened.

The attempted abduction late Tuesday afternoon appeared to be completely random, Darby said, although he noted the suspect has had previous encounters with police. Figueroa-Fagot (pronounced fih-guh-ROH'-ah fa-GO') lives several miles from the girl's neighborhood in south Philadelphia.

The video shows a man approach the girl from behind in broad daylight as she walks home from a corner store with her toddler brother. The man puts his hand over the girl's mouth and tries to carry her away, but she struggles and the young boy screams.

"(The victim) said ... she's never heard him scream that loud in the past," Darby said. "She credits him with interrupting the attack." The kidnap try lasts only seconds before the man runs to his car and drives off.

Police also found the white car that they believe the suspect was driving. Authorities said the man followed the children, leaving his car door open with the apparent intention of dragging the girl to the vehicle.

Court records indicate Figueroa-Fagot was charged with sexual offenses against a minor in February 2011 in Philadelphia, which were later dropped. That case involved accusations made by a family member, District Attorney Seth Williams said Thursday. The alleged victim and her mother later told prosecutors they made up the accusations, and officials dropped the charges this month, Williams said.

Figueroa-Fagot had run-ins with police in Puerto Rico, where he previously lived, Darby said. He said none of those — between 2000 and 2006 — involved allegations of sexual assaults.

Follow Kathy Matheson at www.twitter.com/kmatheson

Related Headlines

  • Vladimir Putin

    Russia's Putin calls US trade bill 'unfriendly'

    Russia's President Vladimir Putin says a U.S. bill imposing sanctions on Russian officials accused of human rights violations is "unfriendly" and is hurting Russian-American ... 

  • 12-12-12 The Concert for Sandy Relief at Madison Square Garden - Live Concert

    10 Things to Know for Today

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today: 1. WHY NORTH KOREA'S ROCKET MAY NOT BE A THREAT YET Experts say North Korea ... 

  • John McAfee

    McAfee in Miami after deportation from Guatemala

    Anti-virus software founder John McAfee is holed up in a Miami hotel after weeks of evading Belizean authorities who want to question him in a homicide. Shortly after McAfee ... 

  • Calif. robbery spurs chase, long campus lockdown

    What began as yet another car chase on Southern California freeways turned into a saga that spanned three counties, with one of five suspects arrested within sight of the Los ... 

Find your future job here

What

Where

Service