US

Sentencing delayed as man rethinks Ohio bomb plea

CLEVELAND (AP) — A man who pleaded guilty in the failed plot to bomb a highway bridge won a delay in his sentencing Wednesday so he can press for a more lenient treatment than his co-defendants.

The attorney for Anthony Hayne, 35, of Cleveland, filed a request to change the guilty plea late Tuesday night with U.S. District Judge David Dowd in Akron. The judge met with attorneys Wednesday and postponed sentencing until Nov. 30.

The plea change request was conditional on whether Hayne gets a more lenient sentence than his co-defendants. His attorney said Hayne's plea deal in return for cooperation could still mean a longer sentence than the eight- to 11-year terms handed down Tuesday to three co-defendants.

They pleaded guilty after Hayne but without plea deals promising cooperation. The FBI said no one was ever in danger. The device was a dud provided by an FBI informant Hayne's attorney, Michael O'Shea, said the plea deal called for his client to get a sentence one-half as long as his co-defendants.

Giving Hayne a longer sentence than promised would violate the spirit of the plea deal, O'Shea said. He argued in the motion that the three co-defendants pleaded guilty six weeks after Hayne in large measure because of his offer to testify against them.

Mike Tobin, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Cleveland, said Wednesday there would be no comment on the sentencing issue. The shortest of the three sentences handed down Tuesday by the judge was eight years and one month for Connor Stevens, 21, of Berea, described in court documents as less involved that the other two.

By that measure, O'Shea said Hayne should get half that sentence, or about four years in prison. Sentencing calculations outlined last week showed Stevens was facing 15 to 19 years. The judge gave him to less after hearing from Stevens and his family members and reviewing the presentence report on Stevens' background and involvement in the plot.

The three sentenced Tuesday, including the alleged ring leader, plan to appeal their sentences. Their attorneys had argued for sentences in the five-year range. The judge had refused earlier to delay Hayne's sentencing as requested by his attorney, who wanted more time to review the other sentences.

A fifth co-defendant is undergoing a psychiatric exam at a federal prison outside Boston. The suspects are described by the government as self-proclaimed anarchists who acted out of anger against corporate America and the government. The defense attorney has called the investigation a case of entrapment, with the informant guiding the way.

Related Headlines

  • 10 Things to Know for Today

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today: 1. U.S. TO SEND MISSILES, TROOPS TO TURKEY The Pentagon says it will send ... 

  • Adam Phillips

    Injury dashed mall shooter's hope of being Marine

    His mother died before he was 3 years old, and he was estranged from the aunt who raised him. His dream of becoming a Marine was dashed by a broken foot, he hadn't yet settled ... 

  • John Boehner

    10 Things to Know for Friday

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: 1. RICE WITHDRAWS AS SEC'Y OF STATE CANDIDATE Her decision means Sen. 

  • Texas boy with pentagram carved back discharged

    A 6-year-old Texas boy whose father allegedly carved a pentagram on the child's back is out of the hospital and doing well given the circumstances, police said Thursday. 

Find your future job here

What

Where

Service