World

UN: 126 rape cases amid eastern Congo fighting

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The United Nations says at least 126 cases of rape took place in eastern Congo last month.

U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky says two Congolese soldiers so far have been arrested in connection with the violence. Preliminary investigations have accused Congolese army soldiers of committing rapes, looting and other human rights violations in Minova and surrounding villages.

The violence took place in late November after soldiers retreated from the city of Goma after it was captured by the M23 rebels. Rape has long been used as a brutal weapon of war in eastern Congo, where both soldiers and various armed groups use sexual violence to intimidate, punish and control the population.

Related Headlines

  • AP PHOTOS: M23 rebels battle Congolese soldiers

    M23, the eight-month-old rebel group made up of soldiers who defected from the Congolese army, has pushed beyond Goma, the bustling regional capital of eastern Congo, which ... 

  • AP PHOTOS: New scenes from Congo

    M23, the eight-month-old rebel group made up of soldiers who defected from the Congolese army, has pushed beyond Goma, the bustling regional capital of eastern Congo, which ... 

  • Congo rebels complete Goma pullout

    Rebels believed to be backed by Rwanda completed their retreat from Congo's eastern provincial capital on Saturday less than two weeks after taking control of the strategic ... 

  • Leaders call for end to Congo rebel advance

    Regional leaders meeting in Uganda on Saturday called for an end to the advance by M23 rebels toward Congo's capital, and also urged the Congolese government to sit down with ... 

Find your future job here

What

Where

Service