World

Bahrain court sentences 5 in alleged F1 bomb plot

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — A Bahraini defense lawyer says a criminal court in the Gulf kingdom has convicted and sentenced five people to five years in prison each on terrorism charges over what authorities say was an attempt to bomb last year's Formula One race.

Attorney Entesar al-Asfoor says female activists Nafisa al-Asfoor and Rayhana al-Musawi were convicted on Tuesday, along with three male accomplices in connection with the case. No explosives were detonated at the 2013 race.

The Bahrain Grand Prix is the island nation's premier international event. The country, host to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, has faced more than three years of unrest following an uprising dominated by the Shiite majority calling for greater rights and opportunities from the country's Sunni rulers. Some radical protesters have used bombs against security forces.

Related Headlines

  • Khalil al-Marzooq

    Bahrain court acquits senior opposition figure

    A senior Bahraini opposition figure was cleared of all charges Wednesday in a closely watched case linked to political unrest in the strategic Gulf island nation. 

  • Bahrain: Protesters dismiss government plans

    Thousands of opposition supporters rallied in the tiny island nation of Bahrain on Friday to protest a proposal by the country's leadership for legislative, security and ... 

  • Leading Bahrain activist released from jail

    Bahraini authorities on Thursday released human rights activist Maryam al-Khawaja, who was being held for questioning after her arrest on arrival in the Gulf Arab country last ... 

  • Nabeel Rajab

    Bahrain human rights activist charged

    A top Bahraini human rights activist was formally charged on Thursday with insulting the ministries of defense and interior. Nabeel Rajab, who heads the Bahrain Center for ... 

Find your future job here