Sci/Tech

German zoo's polar bear swallows jacket, dies

BERLIN (AP) — A German zoo says one of its polar bears has died after apparently swallowing a jacket or bag dropped into his enclosure by a visitor.

The Wilhelma zoo in Stuttgart said Tuesday that zookeepers realized something was wrong with 25-year-old Anton when he started vomiting pieces of fabric. The bear died early Monday of severe intestinal injuries.

The zoo says it's not clear why Anton ate the object rather than tearing it apart, as he usually did with things that landed in his enclosure. His keepers suspect there was something tasty inside that the bear couldn't resist.

The zoo appealed to visitors to report the loss of large objects — allowing zookeepers to remove them quickly. It says it previously lost an elephant seal that swallowed a toy animal.

Related Headlines

  • Cautiously, French zoo shows off rare lion cubs

    Three Asiatic lion cubs are making their debut at a zoo in eastern France, raising slim hopes for one of the world's rarest species. The Besancon (beuz-an-sohn) zoo held off ... 

  • Rare white lion triplets born in Poland

    The owner of a private zoo in central Poland said Tuesday he feels three times lucky with the birth of white lion triplets who are getting loving care from their mother. 

  • With new look, 80-year-old Paris zoo to re-open

    Its gray, man-made mountain that might lure King Kong still protrudes over treetops, but nearly everything else has changed as Paris' zoo prepares to re-open after a ... 

  • Giraffe licks dying zoo worker

    A giraffe gave a lick to a dying man who asked as a last wish to be taken to Blijdorp Zoo in Rotterdam, Netherlands, where he had done odd jobs for 25 years. Mario Eijs, who ... 

Find your future job here