Ravens-Bears resumes after about 2-hour delay

CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Bears' game against the Baltimore Ravens has resumed after being delayed about two hours because of a torrential downpour.

Play was stopped with 4:51 left in the first quarter. Baltimore's Justin Tucker had just kicked a 52-yard field goal to make it 10-0 when fans were ordered to seek cover. Players stayed on the sideline for a few minutes before heading to the locker room as heavy rains and strong winds hit.

There were reports of at least one tornado touching down in Illinois and extensive damage in parts of the state. At Soldier Field, long lines formed in the upper deck as drenched fans tried to make their way toward the tunnel with lightning striking near the stadium.

The rain was so heavy it looked as if the Chicago skyline was gone. Fans in suites and reporters in the press box were ordered to move away from the glass. At one point, a spectator ran across the field and got tackled by about three or four security guards before being escorted away.

Fans were finally allowed to return to their seats when the skies cleared, and they let out a big roar when Bears players started trotting onto the field three minutes later. Prior to the delay, the Ravens got off to a good start — particularly the struggling Ray Rice.

Bothered by a strained hip flexor and averaging just 2.5 yards per carry coming into the game, he broke off a 47-yard run to the 10 on Baltimore's first possession and ran it in from the 1 to make it 7-0 after Chicago's Chris Conte got called for interference against Ed Dickson in the back of the end zone. Tucker added to the lead with that big kick on the Ravens' next possession.

Related Headlines

  • Justin Tucker, Eugene Monroe

    Bears beat Ravens 23-20 in OT after long delay

    Josh McCown spent a few quiet moments trying to figure out what would happen. He probably didn't envision this. The Bears waited out a long rain delay and put in extra time ... 

  • Adrian Peterson

    Ravens rally past Vikings 29-26 on icy field

    At first, it appeared the unrelenting snow would be the main topic of conversation. Then came an incredible flurry of touchdowns — five over the final 125 seconds — that truly ... 

  • John Harbaugh

    Ravens general manager Newsome feeling better

    It's been this kind of season for the defending Super Bowl champs: A tough-to-take overtime loss in Chicago became even more painful for the Baltimore Ravens when general ... 

  • Matthew Stafford

    5 things to know after Ravens beat Lions 18-16

    Justin Tucker had already kicked five field goals, but this one would be an entirely different matter. A 61-yarder? With the game on the line? "He said, 'I got it,'" Baltimore ... 

Find your future job here