The fire broke out in a single-story wooden building rented by an unnamed Chinese company and used as a dormitory for the sawmill workers. It was most likely sparked by a malfunctioning electric heater, local authorities said. Firefighters battled the blaze for more than two hours.
A total of 14 people — Uzbek, Tajik and Chinese nationals — lived in the building, in the Tomsk region. Two workers were able to get out but sustained injuries. The fate of the final occupant is unknown.
Russian police have opened a criminal probe. Uzbek officials said they were working on identifying the bodies and transporting them back to Uzbekistan. Earlier this month a fire at a greenhouse farm in a Moscow suburb killed eight migrant workers from Vietnam.