Michał Sienkiewicz, a police official, told the television broadcaster TVN24 that the fire was probably caused by a hospice worker's cigarette. One of those hospitalized was a police officer who suffered smoke inhalation.
Fire at hospice in Poland kills 4 patients; others hurt
WARSAW, Poland (AP) — A fire broke out at a hospice in Poland on Monday, killing four people and hospitalizing 21 others, Polish media reported. The four dead were all patients at the hospice in Chojnice, a town in northern Poland, said Marian Hinca, a spokesman for firefighters. One of the four was found dead when firefighters arrived and the other three died on the way to the hospital, Hinca told the news portal Wiadomosci.