Phishing Email Protection: Stay Secure with mail.com
Protect against phishing emails and keep your inbox free from spam with mail.com.
Let mail.com protect your inbox from phishing emails
Savvy webmail users want to protect themselves from harmful spam, like email phishing scams—and even in the case of harmless spam, they still don’t want those annoying emails crowding up their inboxes and hampering their email communication efficiency. This is where having an exceptional spam filter comes into play.
Get smart about phishing email protection
Spam is essentially any email communication that has been sent to an email address without permission. There is a relatively harmless form of spam which is guilty only of being an annoying inconvenience, and then there are the more dangerous forms of spam that spread email viruses and malware. A particularly threatening form of spam is the phishing email, which features schemes designed to steal personal information. Usually constructed as an exchange promising a reward, phishing email scams attempt to gain access to personal information—often passwords and credit card information—which can then be used to drain financial resources and steal identities. Some of these phishing emails also contain harmful email viruses along with their request for information.
The threat of phishing emails has increased the need for spam detection, especially over the past few years. Spam detection works by filtering incoming email through a defense line that detects spam and phishing emails based on methods that are usually used to create these kinds of unwanted and dangerous mail.
What phishing emails may contain:
- Embedded links in emails that redirect to an unsecured website.
- Email attachments or ads that contain Trojan viruses or other malicious malware.
- Generic greetings like Dear Sir/Madam instead of being personalized.
- Imitate reputable organizations or senders and request personal and/or financial information.
- Utilize pop-ups.
mail.com recognizes any email communications with these elements involved and automatically sends these threats to your spam folder. mail.com ensures that you are able to go through your spam folder to ensure the filter has not caught anything that you actually need, at which point you can then whitelist any of the filtered email addresses that you want to receive communication from. Conversely, you are also able to manually blacklist any email addresses that you do not wish to have communication from, blocking any further mail from them. This gives you complete control over your email account while also tightening your line of defense against mail threats. The mail.com spam protection tools, in combination with manual monitoring, are the best line of defense against spam emails and phishing emails; together they can help keep you and your data safe online.
Keeping yourself secure from phishing threats
Other security measures that you can take to avoid falling prey to phishing scams:
- Have the right tools in place: spam filter, firewall, manually monitored junk mail, antivirus protection, and anti-spyware software.
- Educate yourself on the latest phishing scams and never respond to anything asking for confidential information (no legitimate organization will ask for that and especially not over email). When in doubt, contact the organization directly by phone.
- Keep your system updated with the latest security patches and antivirus updates.
- Don’t open embedded links or email attachments from unknown senders or anything that looks suspicious. If you are unsure and the sender is known, ask them first what it is before opening it.
- If the mail is doctored to look like it is coming from an official organization, notify them of the fraudulent activity.
- Don’t log into accounts with sensitive information, like financial or identifying information, from a public Wi-Fi connection.
Keeping your email functional and you organized
Even when spam isn’t particularly dangerous like it is with phishing email scams, it is nevertheless frustrating and hampers your email functionality. Anti-spam measures, like the mail.com junk mail filter, work to keep your account organized so that you can be more efficient. It works by ensuring that spam and junk mail bypass your email inbox, so all annoying and advertisement-oriented mail doesn’t get mixed in with your important email communications. This helps you avoid having to search through irrelevant information, and ensures that you don’t miss anything important. Keeping your inbox free of spam is the best way to keep your email functional and safe.
Other features of mail.com email services
- Easy-to-use interface
- Autocompleting addresses and scheduling sending
- Customisable email signature
- Includes an online calendar
- Comprehensive email archiving
- Mail Collector Service for multiple email addresses
- Up to 65 GB of email storage
- Spam filter and antivirus
- Helpful customer support
Get your new email account here! It's free