The Latest: Sudan protesters halt talks with military
KHARTOUM, Sudan (AP) — The Latest on Sudan, where protests drove long-ruling President Omar al-Bashir from power earlier this month (all times local): 9 p.m. The organizers of Sudan's protests say they have suspended talks with the ruling military council because it has failed to meet their demands for an immediate transfer to a civilian government following the overthrow of President Omar al-Bashir.
Mohammed al-Amin Abdel Aziz, a spokesman for the Sudanese Professionals Association, says Sunday that the political committee of the military council is too close to al-Bashir, who has been jailed in Khartoum. He repeated the group's call for an immediate transfer to a transitional civilian government that would rule for four years. The group called for more protests.
The military removed al-Bashir from power earlier this month after four months of protests against his 30-year rule. The protesters fear the military intends to cling to power or replace al-Bashir with another general.
A leading organizer says Sudan's protest movement hopes to "exert more pressure" on the ruling military by announcing the composition of a civilian transitional council Sunday.
Mohammed al-Asam of the Sudanese Professionals Association tells The Associated Press that "we are ready with a clear plan for a transition with qualified names."
The association drove four months of protests that led to the ouster and arrest of Sudan's leader Omar al-Bashir earlier this month. Al-Bashir was replaced by a military council. Protesters demand a speedy transition to civilian rule.
Al-Asam, a 28-year-old doctor, said in an interview late Saturday that the military council is becoming more powerful every day and that "this is dangerous to the revolution."
He says protesters also demand the arrests of additional members of the al-Bashir regime.