Police said that the three children, an 8-year-old boy and girls ages 9 and 11, died instantly when the gas tank exploded in the living room of a family house in the village of Romanovce. Firefighters later extinguished the blaze.
A 58-year-old man died late Sunday at a Skopje clinic, the clinic's head of the intensive care unit told local media. Local media later reported that the gas tank exploded while the Albanian-minority family was preparing breakfast.
The six surviving injured include four women, one of whom is pregnant, and a 10-year-old boy. Two women, aged 30 and 50, a man and the 10-year-old boy, are still in critical condition, the intensive care unit head, Ilir Hasani, told local media.
A previous version of this story was corrected to show that the gas tank was used for cooking, not heating.