1. ‘HATE JUST HIDES. IT DOESN'T GO AWAY' Joe Biden is vowing if elected to address institutional racism in his first 100 days in office as he seeks to elevate his voice in the exploding national debate over racism and police brutality.
2. TORRENTIAL RAINS HIT CENTRAL AMERICA Rains from Tropical Storm Amanda leave at least 17 dead, seven missing and cause extensive damage across El Salvador and Guatemala. El Salvador Interior Minister Mario Durán says some 7,000 people have been forced into shelters.
3. FALWELL REBUKED Nearly three dozen black alumni of Liberty University are denouncing school President Jerry Falwell Jr., suggesting he step down after he mocked Virginia’s mask-wearing requirement by invoking the blackface scandal that engulfed the state’s governor last year.
4. CENSUS OFF TO STRONG START The U.S. Census Bureau says it has reached its predicted goal for households answering the 2020 census questionnaire on their own — 60.5%.
5. FORMER AUBURN FOOTBALL COACH DIES AT 80 Pat Dye took over a downtrodden program in 1981 and turned it into a Southeastern Conference power. In 12 years, he had a 99-39-4 record and Auburn won or shared four conference titles.